Realistic Painting in Oils & Acrylics
- Class Description
NEW: Learn step by step methods to achieve realistic paintings in both oil or acrylic with instructor Ashley Cassens.
Students may choose to paint from a selected reference photo or bring their own, printed on paper in black and white and in color. Through a step-by-step process, students will learn new techniques and be challenged t see differently. Learn how to mix color and master painting techniques to achieve realistic results. Tackle the light with paint in this open and encouraging 12 week course.
Beginner with some knowledge
Art Room I
- Required Materials
Masters Brush Cleaner, Saran Wrap, Paper towel roll/rags, Palette knives, Gloves, if concerned about contact with skin, Fishing tackle boxes make great art boxes, you don’t need anything fancy but you will need some kind of bin to keep your supplies in for travel
- assorted canvas or wooden panels, primed (sizes between 8” x 10” to 18” x 24”)
- Charcoal sticks
- Spray fixative, clear
Oil & Acrylic Paints (Extra hues are welcome!)
- Red acrylic paint
- Titanium or Zinc White *optional, imitation Lead White*
- Yellow Ochre Pale
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Cadmium Red Light
- Transparent Red Oxide or Burnt Sienna
- Burnt Umber
- Alizarin Crimson
- Viridian Green
- Ultramarine Blue
- Ivory Black
- Assorted brushes both bristle and soft (flat, round, filbert) in varying sizes.
- Disposable grey palettes are suitable. You may also choose to make your own buy putting glass
- on foamcore board and taping it.
- Gamsol Solvent – or if not available Odorless Mineral Spirits – no turpentine, please or
- Linseed or Walnut Oil (these are non-toxic)
- Galkyd Medium (speeds drying time)
- Liquin – medium that speeds drying time
*Students will be able to store their paintings and supplies in the studio for the duration of the class. Additional oil paints, mediums and brushes are welcome for additional exploration. Extra materials will be on hand, like easels, pencils, erasers, tape, palette knives, paper towels, fabric, gesso and tins for liquids and disposable palettes. If you have questions about supplies please don’t hesitate to email the instructor email: [email protected].
- Materials Fee:
$170 member / $200 non-member