Music by Stephen Flaherty
Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens
Book by Lynn Ahrens & Stephen Flaherty
Co-Conceived by Lynn Ahrens, Stephen Flaherty & Eric Idle
Based on the works of Dr. Seuss
Directed by Aaron Washington with Musical Direction by Mary Jo Hahn
- April 11 • 6-8 pm
- April 12 • 6:30-9 pm
- April 13 • 6:30-9 pm
- April 14 • 6:30-9 pm
- Callbacks: April 15 • 7 pm
Please bring sheet music and be prepared to sing 32 bars, but no more than one minute, of a fully-memorized broadway style song that showcases their vocal range and in a style that is consistent with the character you are auditioning for. This should be something that you are very comfortable with, not something you just learned the day before! Please mark your selection. An accompanist will be provided. A cappella singing will not be allowed.
You may be asked to read from the script and perform a brief dance combination taught at the auditions.
All roles are voluntary.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals will be held three nights per week and some Sundays.
Performances: July 16-25, 2021
- THE CAT IN THE HAT – (male or female, strong actor, character singer) The essence of mischief, fun and imagination. The Cat stirs things up, causes trouble, but always sets things right again. This actor should have strong comedic abilities, flexible physicality, strong mover, and is comfortable improvising with an audience
- HORTON THE ELEPHANT – (male, strong singer/actor) A big-hearted guy who is steadfast and responsible and always tries to do the right thing for his friends. He does his best to fight for the tiny Who world that is in danger.
- GERTRUDE McFUZZ – (female, strong singer/actor) She is very self-conscious that her one-feather tail isn’t glamorous enough. She goes to great lengths to try to impress Horton.
- MAYZIE LA BIRD – (female, strong singer/actor/dancer) She is brassy, stylish and vain. The most beautiful bird in all of the jungle. Oblivious to her self-centered ways, she relies on her talent of manipulation, and intoxicating beauty, to navigate her way through life.
- SOUR KANGAROO – (female, strong singer/actor) She’s a loud, brassy character with a ton of attitude. Gospel / R&B vocal styling a plus. Along with the Wickershams, she loves to pick on Horton.
- JOJO – (male or female, strong singer/actor/dancer) Jojo is a “Thinker”– a smart kid with a wild imagination but always feeling out of place. Jojo eventually use his/her imagination to save the Who planet. (Age 8-12)
- MR. & MRS. MAYOR – (male and female, character singers/actors) Jojo’s nervous and over protective parents. They love Jojo, but are unsure how to raise a difficult child in a difficult world.
- GENERAL SCHMITZ – (male or female, character singer/actor)A bumbling leader of a military academy and tries to turn Jojo into a ‘man’
- THE BIRD GIRLS – (female, strong singers/dancers) The popular girls in any school–a clique of “back up birds” who narrate much of the action.
- THE WICKERSHAM BROTHERS – (male and/or female, character singers/actors, strong dancers) A group of comic, mischievous monkeys who like to play pranks and tease Horton. They need strong movement/dancing and physicality.
- THING ONE AND TWO – Thing One and Thing Two are human twins from The Cat in the Hat book. They were released from the box that the cat brought in to introduce to Conrad, Sally and the fish.
- ENSEMBLE – will play many roles – Jungle Creatures, Whoville citizens, Cadets, Hunches, circus characters, Fish, and Hunters. Parts of Vlad Vladikoff, the Grinch and Yertle the Turtle will be chosen from the Ensemble. Seeking strong dancers and singers. Looking especially for strong skills in roller-skating, ballet (pointe), and any “circus” skills. Ability to ride a unicycle is an automatic plus. (14 and UP)