Running Mates: Or The Family Party
Written by Beth Kander
Presented by MAS Community Theatre
Directed by Aaron Washington & Keith Eisenstadt
Sam Storm has been the beloved mayor of Anderson, Georgia for the past twenty years. Loved by the community and his doting wife, Sam’s name is usually the only one on the ballot come election time, but when an embarrassing video of him is leaked his seat in office is threatened. Sam has some real competition when the last person he ever expected to run against him puts her name on the ballot, his wife Sophia. Now it’s down and dirty as husband and wife duke it out. Can their marriage withstand the political fisticuffs? And what happens when an unexpected third candidate enters the race? This fast-paced political comedy brings new meaning to the phrase “family politics.”
- Tuesday, August 16 • 7 pm
- Wednesday, August 17 • 7 pm
The auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
Casting for the following roles:
- Sofia Storm – F, 50s. Longtime first lady of Anderson. Educated, articulate, left-leaning; polished, graceful, and tired of being underestimated.
- Liddie Valentine – F, mid-30s. Sofia’s younger best friend and default manager. Take-no-prisoners, witty, far more leftist and far less graceful than Sofia.
- Ted Wink – M, 20s. Sofia and Liddie’s yoga instructor. Peacenik and zen-lover.
- Sam Storm – M, 50s. Mayor of Anderson, incumbent mayoral candidate. Good old Southern boy; smart, protective, often clueless about how to interact with the strong women in his life.
- Jimmy Benjamin “J.B.” Jackson – M, 20s/30s. Henry’s campaign manager and lapdog. Nervous, neo-Conservative, jumps at loud noises.
- Savannah Storm – F, 20s. Sam and Sofia’s rebellious daughter. Bright, active, college senior; does not take kindly to the idea about being used for the political gain of either of her parents.
All roles are non-paid.
- Friday, October 14 • 8 pm
- Saturday, October 15 • 8 pm
- Sunday, October 16 • 2 pm
- Friday, October 21 • 8 pm
- Saturday, October 22 • 8 pm
- Sunday, October 23 • 2 pm
Email Aaron Washington at [email protected].
Running Mates will be produced through special arrangements with Steele Spring Stage Rights.